Sunday, May 23, 2004

Help... Question about the required yardage for Charlotte's Web!

Caution: I may be speaking nonsence here, because I have a headache and I'm hungry, but this is a burning question in my mind and its not meant to confuse anyone!

I am currently into my second skein of yarn for my first version of the Charlotte's Web shawl. It is important to note that this first version of the shawl that I am making is being knit in ONE SOLID COLOR (#2181) because I plan to wear this for my wedding. Therefore, I have not had to change skeins to get the color effects that is suggested on the pattern. So far, my progress looks, well, quite large. It seems as though I will have knit well beyond the halfway point as I work through the second skein. So, now I am starting to think that perhaps, for a solid colored Charlotte's Web shawl, I did not necessarily need to purchase 5 (6 because I got paranoid) skeins of solid colored Koigu for this particular project. I'm rather stuck in my indecision because I cannot find the exact amount of yardage that is required to complete the body for this pattern anywhere. I do realize that the pattern calls for 875 yards of yarn, however that 875 includes the total amount needed so that the fringe will be multi-colored as well. Working in one solid color, I'm concerned that I would actually need LESS yarn to complete the body and fringe, since the entire thing is a solid color. Is it possible that I need less than 875 yards of yarn (perhaps three or four skeins total opposed to five or six) to complete a solid colored version of this shawl?

4 Comments:

Blogger k8et said...

you should need less than 5 skeins, but i don't see how the overall yardage would change if you don't switch colors. you'll probably have enough to return some or make something else! (a little purse for the wedding day??)

i got to row 15 last night - it's a start!

May 23, 2004 at 8:44 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Kate,
I actually was thinking that I could make something along the lines of a purse or one of those garter things for the wedding with the extra. I calculated out where I am in the pattern tonight -- I'm on row 75 out of 154 -- so I'm just a little more than half way through and I've barely made a dent in the second skein. Looking it it based on numbers, I'll probably finish up the body in the fourth skein and will use that plus the fifth for the fringe. I think I was just a little paranoid earlier. :)

- nicole

May 24, 2004 at 1:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site folks, been looking for this kind of information. I have a related vegas wedding
site also. You may want to take a look some time. vegas wedding
I'll definitely be back.

October 22, 2005 at 11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

February 20, 2010 at 4:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home