Wednesday, March 31, 2004

When things start to get a little 'ho-hum'

I posted this to the knitting group's messageboard, but I thought it might be good to post it here too, especially since I've been such a slacker when it has come to knitting and updating this blog lately.

Basically, what it comes down to is that I have issues about working in plain stockinette stitch.


Lately, I have noticed that it takes me far longer than necessary to
complete pieces that are to be done in plain, one color, stockinette
stitch. I breeze through color work and cables... Hell, I even
breeze through some lace. But, the problem is that I get so bored
with st st that it takes me roughly three times as long to complete
a project that uses it than it would if the project was full of
cables and eyelets.

For instance, I'm working on this item where one side is
gingham and the other is st st. I started and completed the gingham
side in roughly 8 knitting hours total. However, it is now taking me
three to four weeks (with practically no knitting hours because I
have no interest in the st st) to get more than a few inches worked
on the stockinette stitch side. Normally, this wouldn't be much of a
problem, except the the item is to be given as a gift in April.

Am I hitting some sort of stockinette stitch rut that is well known
among other knitters, or is this something unique and quirky that
I've managed to get into all by myself?

- Nicole, who is hopelessly bored of plain stockinette stich.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home